It is officially spring time in Arkansas. That means time to get out and get moving. Soaking up sunshine and beautiful weather, walking off that winter stiffness.
Unfortunately, many of us spend a large portion of our day sitting, whether it’s at a desk, in a car, or on the couch. This can lead to a host of health problems, including poor posture, muscle imbalances, and joint stiffness. That’s why it’s important to find ways to incorporate movement into our daily lives, even if we have sedentary jobs or lifestyles.
- Take a Walk Break. Instead of taking a coffee break, take a walk break. Even a 10-15 minute walk can help improve circulation and reduce stress. If you’re working from home, take a walk around the block or do a few laps around your house.
- Find a Movement Buddy. Finding a friend or coworker who is also interested in movement can be a great way to stay motivated. You can take walking breaks together, do deskercises together, or even join a fitness class.
- Practice Active Sitting. This can be done on an exercise ball or cushion, which requires you to engage your core and balance.
- Use a Pedometer or Fitness Tracker. Setting a daily step goal will help you challenge yourself and offer motivation to move more.
- Walk and Talk. When taking phone calls, try walking around your office or home, or even pacing in place. This can help increase your daily step count and keep your body moving throughout the day.
What else do you like to do to sneak movement into your day? Let us know at your next appointment!